- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
This pie is meant to be shared! It is a bit on the sweeter side but lovely with the homemade caramel.
1 recipe pie dough for two crusts
3 T flour , plus more for dusting
7 baking apples
3 T/, plus 1 cup granulated sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
8 T unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Demerara sugar or brown sugar
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/2 t flake sea salt
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 t water
Make pie dough and put in fridge for at least 30 minutes if not overnight.
1. Toss apples with 2 T granulated sugar and lemon juice; cover with plastic wrap and set aside 1 hour. Whisk 1 c sugar and 1/4 c water in a 2-qt saucepan over medium heat; cook, without stirring, until the sugar dissolves, 2-3 minutes. Add butter; bring to a boil. continue cooking until the mixture turns a deep red-brown, about 25 minutes or until a candy thermometer inserted in sauce reads 325. Remove from heat. Carefully add cream, stirring until sauce is smooth.
2. Heat oven to 375. Stir 1/3 c Demerara sugar with 2 T flour, plus nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, kosher salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Drain apples, discarding juices and add to bowl; toss to coat in spice mixture.
3. Roll out pie dough and place in the pie plate. For top crust cut 1 1/2 in. strips for lattice crust.
4. Sprinkle remaining flour and sugar over crust; tightly arrange apples over dough, mounding them slightly higher in the center. Pour caramel sauce evenly over apples. Sprinkle with half the sea salt. Lay three strips of dough vertically across the top of pie, about 1 1/2 in apart. Fold first and third strips in half upward. Lay one horizontal strip at pie's center. Unfold first and third vertical strips over it. Fold second vertical strip upward. Lay another horizontal strip below the first. Unfold second vertical strip over the bottom horizontal strip, then fold it again downward. Lay a third horizontal trip just above the pie's center and unfold second vertical strip. Pinch bottom crust and lattice edges together; roll toward the center of pie to hide lattice edges; crimp edges. Brush egg over crust, then sprinkle lattice with remaining Demerara sugar and sea salt. Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 1 hour. Let cool completely before serving.
This recipe was shared in Saveur, November 2013 page 78.